Thursday 2 February 2012

2/2/2012 I'm back!!

Hi all

It was a busy last week in the sense that I was out and about the network all week. In the same sense, it was a very quiet week (hence the lack of updates) in terms of anything happening worth reporting!

I spent the week on cab experience. This meant that I was paired up with an experience driver and followed them round all day and sat with them in the cab while they drove. I was hoping during this week that I would see something interesting. Maybe some single line working by pilotman or perhaps an authorised signal passed at danger but alas it was not to be :(

What I did see was a signal that was playing up and had to be tested in front of us (with our knowledge of course!) which went from green to red and back to green again, and also I realised just how much tea is in a cup when it is knocked onto the floor (i.e lots!!!)

Still it was a nice relaxed week, where I could sit in what would be my future office and watch the world go round and see how drivers drive. It also meant that I was back on shifts for the last week which was a bit of shock after being on office hours for the course so far.

Still back to the school today and it was a bit of bonus day as well.
We came in and were immediately told to pair up as we would be going into the simulators! I paired up with another trainee who would be at my depot and we went second. After tossing a coin I was picked to drive first and suddenly I felt under a great deal of pressure. I had told all the other trainees that I drove trains a lot on my computer using openbve (found here if you want a go http://trainsimframework.org/). I was concentrating like mad driving a route I had never been over before and managed to do quite well. I have no idea how late we were (and I think it was quite a bit!) when we arrived at the terminus of Weston station, and despite a fail to call (station appeared out of nowhere at 90mph, no chance of stopping!!) and a fault with the TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System info here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_Protection_%26_Warning_System) I got to the end in one piece.

If I can I will upload some of the simulator route maps onto my blog but it says copyright on the front so I will have to check.

The rest of the day was taking up by a discussion on the the Principles of Route Learning, which focused on why drivers have to know the route better than the back of your hand and why drivers cant driver wherever they want!

So if you'll excuse me, I'm off to learn the simulator route!!

No comments:

Post a Comment