Tuesday 3 April 2012

03-04-2012 Aaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS in all my excitement I forgot to wish BDT4-12 the best. they started yesterday and I have a personal friend on that course. Good luck mate, and if any of you read this, feel free to say hello if you see me!!

Well I am just home from my first day on the mainline and I still have a massive smile on my face.. I just don't seem to be able to shift it! :D I started at Clapham Yard and almost immediately I was slow speed driving again up to the outlet signal and onto the mainline. We sat quietly for about 5 minutes while trains whizzed by still sat at my red position light, then without warning the points ahead of me swung over and my signal cleared. No more hesitation for me and I reset the DRA and took power at 5mph over the points onto the mainline.

As soon as my train was clear I was told to open up and then for the first time I went above 5mph and accelerated up the linespeed of 60!! Now I was in a class 450 and frankly the power these units give is amazing and before I knew it I was shutting off and coasting.

I was waving at passing trains and watching like a hawk for signals even though I had a very knowledgeable trainer sat next to me giving instructions.

In a manner of speaking I went in at the deep end and anyone who has ever been in that area will know that it is an incredibly complex area with many tracks, trains and signals to watch for.

I felt comfortable though and I decided that the cab of a train is definitely where I want to be for a job.

My first shock was approaching my first red mainline signal, and that was a nerve wracking experience as the signals around Waterloo have been passed before (definitely to be avoided!!) but I stopped and as I did so it cleared showing me entering platform 9 but also that there was a train already there.

I pulled in very cautiously knowing that a train will be there and lo and behold a class 444 was there and I had to approach carefully. The instructor knew the train much better than me and had to keep telling me to take the brake off, but its hard to do that when you are approaching a train and it feels like it is getting very close, very quickly!!

Still I stopped 6 feet away as per the rules, and secured the train and could finally relax (phew!!) What I didn't realise how much my hands were sweating and I had only done a 5 minute trip!!

I changed ends and set the train up ready to take it as far as Woking when one of the other trainees on the train would take over. I should stress why I remember that today was an empty train so we didn't have to worry too much about passenger comfort.

My signal cleared and we were given right away by the platform assistant and off we go again!
I took the train down towards Woking on both the fast and slow lines and the instructor commented on how well I handled the train, I put this down to all the years of driving I have done on OPENBVE!!

I braked well for cautionary signals and also for speed limits both permanent and emergency and also tried my hand at stopping at Walton on Thames and Woking. The first station I had to brake a bit harder than was usual as I was going faster than the train appeared to be going, however I still stopped at the mark with no jolt. At Woking, I feel that I managed a much better stop and sat bang on the 4 car mark.

So 450042 is the first mainline unit I have driven and as for tomorrow....

2L25 1012 South West Trains service from London Waterloo to Basingstoke. In passenger service. With yours truly driving. Wish me luck, there's rain on the forecast ......


me before proceeding on my first trip


cab of 450042


another picture showing my work "office"


450042 today's unit that I drove...


No comments:

Post a Comment