Wednesday 4 April 2012

04-04-2012 Calmer now

I still haven't got rid of the smile I got from driving yesterday. It got bigger today as I walked up platform 8 at London Waterloo watching passengers board my 8 car class 450. It suddenly dawned on me that I was going to be one that is driving them to their destinations and that scared me a little.

I got into the front cab and set the cab up ready for service. I had about 5 minutes before I was due to leave and I was watching the sheer number of movements of trains coming and going. A minute before departure and my controlling signal W15 is stubbornly refusing the clear and is still red. We had heard as we walked up the train that there were line problems causing hassle around the Basingstoke area so I just assumed that this was what was delaying me leaving. Still that all changed when 2 minutes late the signal finally cleared for the Up Relief line and seconds later I got the ready to start signal from the guard. This in itself was unusual as I, in the past, have always been the guard giving the driver the signal and so it was really a strange feeling to be the other end.

Anyway, we left Waterloo 2 late and headed down towards Clapham Junction watching trains coming and going, still in awe about how busy it is. Despite being checked down by signals towards Clapham Jct and giving someone a heart attack when I blew the horn going through the station as they were near the edge, it was fairly uneventful down to Woking. My station stops are already improving no end and I don't think passengers would have noticed my inexperience. Driving truly is something else and would recommend it even now to anyone, and I realised that I cannot wait until I am fully qualified and doing this everyday for myself!

We were still two minutes late at Woking as I didn't really have the chance to catch any time up. One of the best feelings today was being confident enough to wave at passing drivers and better still sound  a quick horn to children who were stood on overbridges (something that I used to do about 10 years ago!) and before I knew it I was coming down the mainline and had left Basingstoke with just one more station to go! We were almost back on time as there is a bit of time between the last two stations and as I approached I was checked down to the last signal before the station waiting for the return service to depart the platform. I was preparing to stop as it passed me but fortunately the signal cleared for me and rolled into Basingstoke platform 1, 1 minute early. After securing the train, I could finally relax!

All again tomorrow!! :D :D :D

1 comment:

  1. Francis,

    Just a quick comment to say thank you for taking the time to blog your training experiences. I currently have an application in for trainee train driver with SWT, hence my interest.

    I'm enjoying reading, looking forward to more and good luck with everything ahead.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete