Sunday 6 May 2012

06/05/2012 - Eastleigh, Eastleigh, Eastleigh again...

Well a new route today, and also first day where I have driven with a huge cold. My concentration levels were hard to maintain with a blocked nose, then a runny nose, then congestion etc but I made it through with no mishaps.

Portsmouth to Eastleigh is a nice route and not overly complicated. All the braking points I was taught were at bridges and signals so not too difficult to remember. Returning to Eastleigh was a bit memorable as that was my first railway job on the platform there in 2005 and it was nice to see Mr Keeling still there after all this time.

I also had my first decent scare. It might not sound much but today was my first proper drive on a single line (between Fareham and Botley) and as the evening drew in and I was driving my third trip to Eastleigh, my headlight reflected off a substation and before I knew it I could have sworn there was a train coming towards me. On go the brakes before my DI points out that it is a substation! My heart was thumping but fortunately I didn't put the emergency brake in!! As I came of the single line there was a Southern service waiting to go on, but he was no where near me!

It was also another good day for a few smaller reasons. I had two separate passengers thank me for a smooth journey which is always nice and I also had my fianceƩ on the train for the first time, so she has been on a train driven by me!

Hey ho, another good day I feel and hopefully I haven't passed this cold on to everyone I have met today and more importantly I hope that it goes by tomorrow so that I can enjoy my day!

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment