Friday 20 January 2012

20/01/2012 End of the second week!!

Well after more fun and frivolity I have come to the end of the second week, and have much to look forward to.
This week has seen the end of what is snappily titled Basic Rail and a test is forthcoming (Wednesday!)

Today and yesterday saw me doing my Personal track Safety course (for the third time because of various past jobs). Before anyone can go on the track, you have to undergo two days training. Day one being theory (and you really want to read module G1 of the rule book available on  http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Forms/Live_Documents.aspx?RootFolder=/Rule_Book/Rule%20Book%20Modules&FolderCTID=0x01200060B274261602B94B84F5B3E1E95DE5C8 ) and day two is practical where you show how to lay track circuit clips and detonators (actual explosives that go on the track to warn trains - don't worry it just makes a loud bang!!!)

We learnt how in an emergency you have to 1 and quarter of mile backwards to protect the line!! So on a blistering cold morning (today) I stood with all the other trainees and took turns in placing track circuit clips.

The end result is that we had a test today to gain our Personal Track Safety card and I passed 100% which is always good, and everyone course sailed through with no problems.

So with all PTS done the next week is looking at being good. Monday see's me go up the front of a passenger train to see what happens and after two further days of revision and ANOTHER test of what we have done so far, I spend a week doing front end turns and seeing what the driver does and see and I can't wait. After that week, it looks like we will start driving on the simulator and again I can't wait so you can look forward to that in my blog!

Finally, I was picked out to undergo a random drugs test and apparently the person doing the tests didn't know who I am. So she asks the trainer who said you are looking for the person that looks like the honey monster!! So in this women comes into the mess room where I am sat with all the other new drivers and she says I'm looking for the one who is the "honey monster"??!?!? We all look at each other and then she says "a Francis Oldfield".

Well, that's a nickname I am NOT going to shift. Until Monday... have a great weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment